Hey! Paper Leaf is an award-winning digital product design firm located in Edmonton, AB. We design & develop innovative custom websites. web applications, and mobile applications –and we are looking to add a full-time Team Lead to our team to help us do that. We have a fun, relaxed & flexible environment that’s actually organized; a tight-knit team where your voice is heard; a variety of challenging, rewarding, and creative work; and room for professional development.
We work on challenging and interesting projects for clients across the globe, and you’ll be working for a team that really values putting great work out into the world – not one that is hellbent on burning you out and churning out as much work as possible. You can learn more about our work on the Portfolio page and our team on our About page, and get a good vibe of our culture from our Instagram feed, but generally speaking we pride ourselves on being nice people, talented in our roles, whose collective purpose is to build great things that people love.
As well, we believe that diversity in all regards contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently improve Paper Leaf and the work we do. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.
I know what you’re thinking: WTF is a Team Lead? Well, a Team Lead is accountable for the successful delivery of a project to a satisfied client. They are accountable for holistic project quality as well as project health (budget, schedule, resourcing) and team relationship health, inclusive of the client. They lead their digital production team. This position is suitable for designers, developers, project managers, account coordinators or similar who are looking for a different role in the digital industry.
Another way to look at it: it’s a hybrid role encompassing product management (help us release great, effective work!), client management (build rapport and work with our clients!), team management (help your team of designers & developers succeed!), and project management (along with your team, make sure we deliver on time & budget!). So you need to be a bit of a swiss-army knife.
Your role is absolutely integral to the success of the company and our projects. You’ll lead a cross-functional team of 3 developers and 1 designer (we have two teams like this).
Are you the ideal candidate for this position? You are if you…
- are ambitious
- are a critical thinker
- are a problem solver – you approach near everything as a problem to be solved
- love working with people & have great people skills
- are a great communicator, both written & verbally, and a great listener
- love to keep things organized, and have a sense in pride in doing so
- have a true appreciation for quality in all regards
- like to have fun.
The job duties for the Team Lead position involve:
- helping define project scope, requirements & resources required
- setting project goals & expectations
- project implementation strategy & planning
- managing clients and project risk
- working with the team and client to create project schedules
- managing team members, schedules and milestones
- managing, monitoring, and forecasting project budgets
- organizing meetings, reviews, and external resources
- writing: meeting itineraries, meeting notes, subcontractor agreements, etc.
- hands-on project deliverable work, potentially including information architecture, user research & persona authoring, and more. It depends on your skills, and what you want to learn too!
To be considered for the position, here’s what you’ll have:
- ~2 years experience working on professional design and/or development projects
- strong writing skills
- very strong verbal communication & people skills
- strong critical thinking skills
- outstanding organizational skills
- great problem-solving skills
- comfort with Mac OSX as well as with general web technologies/software
- experience managing projects and/or multiple people
- ability to plan ahead and foresee challenges
If you don’t meet one or two of these requirements, but still feel you’d be a good fit, throw your hat in the mix anyway. You miss every shot you don’t take.
What We Offer
This full-time, salaried position is out of our awesome downtown office in Edmonton (no remote workers, sorry). We offer a relaxed working environment; flexible start and end times to your days, and the opportunity for 4 day weeks if you want; a compensation package that includes a competitive salary, benefits, vac time, and bonus structure; the opportunity to work on interesting, challenging, and meaningful projects; professional development opportunities; and more.
To apply, please send your resume with cover letter and two references to email@example.com.
This position will remain open until filled. Thanks!